Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Date Nights

This summer I decided that I wanted to "date" my kids.  In a family of six, there is always something going on, and I rarely get the opportunity to hang-out with each of my kiddos one on one. I wanted to invest time into each child individually, so I came up with the "Summer Date Night Plan."  Each week, I take out only one child for an activity of his/her choosing.  It has to be something local and relatively inexpensive, but otherwise it is completely up to the kiddo to choose what they want to do.

Last night I went on a date with Davis.  He decided on a movie.  At first he asked to see Cars 2, but about a week ago he asked if he could change to the final Harry Potter movie.  (I was hesitant at first because the movie is rated PG-13, but ultimately decided that he could probably handle it).  Davis has read the entire Harry Potter series numerous times, and I knew he would have a blast.




Davis actually counted down the hours until our date.  I would like to think that he was excited to spend time with me, but who am I kidding?  It was all about the Harry Potter movie.  Ok . . . well, maybe it was 90% Harry Potter, 10% hanging out with Mom.  Or 80/20?  I will just tell myself it was an even 50/50 split.

We had such a great time!  We stopped by Target for a little candy treat, and then settled into our big comfy seats directly in the middle of the movie theater.  I enjoyed chatting with Davis on the ride to the theater (I think that you can get some of the best conversations in with tweens during car rides), in Target and as we sat watching the previews and waiting for the movie to start.  As he approaches the teen years, I want to keep our relationship strong.  I want him to know that he can talk to me about anything.  I love that boy and can't believe that he is almost ten years old.



The movie itself was fantastic!  Lots of witty dialogue, suspense and action all rolled into one.  Two thumbs up from both myself and Davis.

Next up, Noah.  He still has not decided what he wants to do, but the top contender as of this morning is roller-blading.  Sounds fun to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment