Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Civic Duty

This poor blog.  It has been neglected for weeks.  I was afraid that would happen.  Life just gets in the way.  Work, church, friends, kids' activities, traveling, vacation.  Pick an excuse.

 

But today I am stuck.  Stuck in a jury waiting room along with six hundred other individuals from Orange County.  What a great time to update my blog.  I have hours to pass with not a lot of things to do.

At 36 years old, this is actually the first time I have ever had to report for jury duty.  I was called once while in law school, but was excused because of my school schedule.  I am suprised I have not received a summons before.  I have been registered to vote since I was 18 years old.  This also worries me a bit.  Perhaps my luck will run out, and I will be chosen for a jury.

Jury duty provides for some interesting people watching.  There are all types of people here.  Old and young.  Different ethnicities.  Professionals and blue color workers.  The wealthy and the poor.  It is interesting to sit on this side of things.  What will the lawyers be looking for today?  I find myself scanning the room and making initial judgement calls on who I would like for a jury in one of my own civil trials.

Also, will a lawyer want me, an attorney with 10 years of experience, on a jury?  My guess is no.  Unless my background meets the exact characteristics that one of the attorneys are looking for, I will not be chosen.  Jurors with any type of legal experience are typically choosen as the foreperson.  The other jurors will like to him/her for guidance.  I hope that is my ticket out of here.

In general, people do whatever they can to get out of jury duty.  As I was waiting in line to check-in, I heard many complaints and excuses.  I have to admit that I also hope I am not selected.  I have a deposition to prepare for and a flight up to Oregon tomorrow.  Not to mention the difficulty I will have meeting my monthly billable requirement if I have to sit on a jury for several days.  However, if it weren't for my pesky job, I think I would like to be chosen.  It is an opportunity to serve, and I would love to be able to see the judicial process from the opposite perspective.  It is crazy to think that the people sitting in this room have the power to take away a person's freedom.  It is an awesome responsibility. 

*****

It is now 9:07 a.m.  I have been here since 7:45 as required by my jury summons.  The check-in process took nearly an hour, and the court employee just announced a 30 minute break. (already?!?).  This bugs me.  I want to get to work.  I want to get things done.  I need to just get over it and realize that I am in for a long and tedious day.      

No comments:

Post a Comment