Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wicked

I love musicals.  Always have, always will.  My favorite movie of all time is The Sound of Music.  I could seriously watch that movie over and over again without stopping and never get tired of it.

On Friday, a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go to Wicked with her over the weekend.  Ummm . . . do birds fly?  Of course I wanted to go!  And, to top it off, she had tickets for some of the best seats in the house.  5th row, center!

I was in heaven.  The music was fabulous.  I loved the fact that during one of the numbers, I saw the actor who played Elphaba (The Wicked Witch for those who have not seen it) with tears in her eyes.  Amazing.  I plan to download the entire Wicked soundtrack to my ipod asap!

Poster shows a stylized drawing of head wearing a witch's hat and a mask over the eyes.

As my friend pointed out, one of the best things about Wicked is that it is a story of friendship.  Most musicals revolve around a romantic interest, and Wicked does have a secondary storyline concerning the love between Elphaba and Fiyero, but primarily it is about the the friendship between Glenda and Elphaba.  I love that at the end of the evening, I truly felt that the "Wicked Witch" was misunderstood, and that she truly was not an evil character of any sort.

If you are in Orange County, I believe Wicked is playing until April 3rd.  Go see it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment